Tap [ tap ]
- any device for controlling the flow of liquid from a pipe or the like by opening or closing an orifice, tap, cock.
- to strike with a light but audible blow or blows; hit with repeated, slight blows.
- to make, put, etc., by tapping.
- to strike (the fingers, a foot, a pencil, etc.) upon or against something, especially with repeated light blows.
- Basketball. to strike (a ball in the air) in the direction of a teammate or of the basket.
- to enter information or produce copy by tapping on a keyboard.
- to add a thickness of leather to the sole or heel of (a boot or shoe), as in repairing.
The taps are the mechanics of the bathroom, the moving parts, therefore it is essential to purchase quality brassware to ensure longevity of performance and appearance.
From pillar taps to bath shower mixers and everything in between, choosing your bathroom taps may feel a little daunting, however they all serve different purposes.
The main difference between the various types of bathroom taps is how they mount to the sanitaryware, this will be defined by the tap hole configuration you choose.
0 Tap Hole – Wall mounted mixer, countertop mounted mixer, floor standing filler, bath spout or bath waste filler
1 Tap Hole – Monobloc mixer
2 Tap Hole – Hot and cold pillar taps, bath filler or bath shower mixer
3 Tap Hole – Hot and cold valves and spout, 3 piece mixer
4 Tap Hole – Hot and cold valves, spout and pull out shower head, 4 piece mixer
Basin and bidet taps will require 15mm hot and cold feeds and a trap connected to a 32mm waste pipe, baths taps will require 22mm hot and cold feeds and a trap connected to a 40mm waste pipe.